View All Columbia University JobsColumbia University in the City of New York
A Refrigeration Control Engineer (RCE) is a position in the facilities department providing high quality and effective work that will lead, perform and/or assist in any routine or emergency operations and functions of the District Energy System (DES) and the Distributed Systems throughout the Columbia University-Manhattanville Campus (CUMVC). Perform daily functions as required for the most effective and efficient operation of campus system chillers, water treatment, air conditioning, ventilation systems and associated auxiliary equipment and controls, including curtailment activities as required by Consolidated Edison (ConEd) or other regulating authorities. Independently or under limited/minimal supervision and/or direction; operate, inspect/round, maintain, troubleshoot/diagnosis, and repair equipment, systems, and machinery in good workmanlike manner, while maintaining a high level of safety, reliability, efficiency, and cost effectiveness. May work in conjunction with the Plant Operations Engineer (POE) or the DES Engineer to insure proper rounds and log entries are recorded, or operate in the Engineer’s absence.
- The RCE will perform daily refrigeration & controls engineering assignments required by maintenance and/or job orders, by sketch, blueprint illustration, and supervisor’s oral directions in operations.
- Maintain, repair and operate system controls and refrigeration equipment, auxiliary systems and computer monitoring systems while working independently or under limited supervision and direction and in accordance with sound engineering practices.
- Conduct start up, shutdown, and stabilization as necessary to maintain units in efficient service.
- Conduct regular inspections of MERs, chiller system, and auxiliary equipment to ensure proper operation and maintenance.
- Sampling of all campus water loops and maintain/adjust proper chemical levels within design limits.
- Monitor, document, and control refrigerant on campus to comply with USEPA, NYSDEC and NYCDEP standards and permits.
- Understand fundamentals of electrical motors, controls, switches, fusing and wiring, including basic electrical controls troubleshooting.
- Operate electric chillers, steam turbine chillers, condensate pumps, air compressors, booster pumps, auto steam reducing stations, plate and frame HX, shell and tube HX, DDC and pneumatic control systems.
- Must demonstrate minimum professional proficiency in the English Language.
- NYC Refrigeration Engineer’s License in reference to Columbia University, District Energy System address.
- Knowledge of chiller maintenance, repair, and operation with required licenses and certifications.
- Basic knowledge of various types of chillers, HVAC&R controls, and operating knowledge.
- Must be a quick learner and exhibit self-motivational skills.
- Adequate ability to discern colors for monitoring alarm conditions.
- Strong team mentality (ability to work with others).
- Well- refined interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, customers, clients, students, vendors, and management.
Qualification & Experience:
- Two (2) years of experience with automated systems controls; open loop and closed loop controls systems. (Siemens, Johnson Controls, Honeywell, etc.)
- Five (5) years of experience as a HVAC&R mechanic.
Company: Columbia University in the City of New York
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: New York, NY, US
Application Deadline: N/A