View All USDA Jobs Department of Agriculture
The positions are located in the Office of Field Operations. This is an open continuous announcement that is used to collect applications for a VRA specific apprenticeship program from applicants and fill vacant positions as they become available. If selected you will serve as an apprentice for one year with eligibility to be converted to a non-temporary appointment upon successful completion of the apprenticeship program.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment medical examination.
- Selectee must be able to obtain and maintain a NACI security clearance. If selected you may be subject to a National Agency Check and Inquiry (NACI).
- Selectee may be subject to satisfactory completion of a one year probationary or trial period.
- Direct Deposit – Per Public Law 104-134 every Federal employee is required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of that employee’s choosing.
- Be physically and medically able to efficiently perform the essential job functions, without being a direct threat to themselves and others.
- Have full range of motion to perform rapid repetitive twisting and working with arms above shoulder level.
- Be able to stand and walk on slippery and uneven floors and catwalks, and climb stairs and ladders.
- Be able to lift, carry, push and pull up to 30 pounds, with occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds.
- Have manual dexterity of the upper body, including arms, hands, and fingers with a normal sense of touch in both hands.
- Have good near and distance vision, be free of chronic eye disease and have correctable vision of at least 20/40 in one eye.
- Have the ability to distinguish shades of color. Any significant degree of color blindness (more than 25 percent error rate on approved color plate test) may be disqualifying.
- Individuals with some hearing loss and/or requiring hearing amplification will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Qualification & Experience:
- Experience in a slaughter or processing plant, or a comparable manufacturing or production activity which prepares food for human consumption. This experience must demonstrate skills in sorting good from bad; applying, interpreting, and explaining standards, making decisions, and communicating with others.
- Experience as a meat cutter/butcher in a wholesale or retail meat/poultry business, provided a full range of responsible duties are performed such as cutting or butchering, sanitation, dealing with customers, meeting customer standards, use of judgment, interpretation or various requirements, and sorting acceptable from unacceptable.
Company: Department of Agriculture
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Other
Job Location: Atlanta, GA, US
Application Deadline: N/A